PRIVACY & COOKIES POLICY
For all of our services, the data controller is Settlers.
Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using our website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement and we will only ask for it if we really need it.
Settlers may change the policy from time-to-time by updating this page. You should check this page from time-to-time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 21st March 2020.
How we will use your data and what data we need
We only collect and use your personal information to complete tasks on your behalf.
With this data we:
- Provide you with products or services you have requested.
- Personalise and customise your experience on Settlers, including saving shopping cart information – if you have an account with us and enable cookies, we save your shopping cart for you to carry on where you left off.
- Communicate with you.
- Internal record keeping.
- Purchase history – provide customer service and support, it’s also good reference for you to know what you have purchased from us.
- Give you the opportunity from time-to-time to receive email and e-newsletters from Settlers, with your consent.
- In most cases where Settlers asks you to provide information about yourself, if you do not provide Settlers with that information, Settlers may not be able to process your order. Eg, a courier company may need your telephone number to inform you about your delivery and without this they will not process the delivery.
- Information about the device you use – your IP address (which can be used for fraud detection and prevention) and what device you have used to visit our website (so we can keep improving and optimising the website for you).
The information we collect:
- Your name, delivery and billing addresses – to deliver your purchase to you.
- Contact telephone number – send you service messages by text (courier delivery time slot) and customer service.
- Email address – to send you order updates and if you create an account, this is your username, along with a password which we cannot access as it is encrypted.
- Date of birth – to confirm you are over the age of 13 and we can lawfully process your data without parental consent. If you make a payment with PayPal as that service already requires you to be 18 and over, we will not need your birthday.
- Payment details – to take payment for any order you place and provide refunds where necessary. We will also use these details for fraud prevention and detection, protecting both you and us.
If you enter a competition we check your response to the competition and if you win, we will contact you first to let you know you have won and how we can get your prize on its way to you. We process prizes the same way as orders and will require the same information we would for an order.
We would like to send you e-newsletters about the products we sell, services and sales but we will only do this if you are happy to receive these emails. You can let us know that you would like to receive emails from us in your account when you log onto the website.
If you wish to return an order, the minimal details we require is your name and order number. Why you are returning your order is always useful, but you do not have to disclose this information.
All the information you give to us is confidential and we will only use your information in the way we tell you in this policy. Only the relevant staff members will have access to certain details. For example, our warehouse team will not have access to your payment details, but customer service will have access so they can provide refunds. We do not store credit card/debit card information, so while refunds can be processed, we cannot take additional payment.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We never have access to your full credit/debit card details and are not held in clear text.
Sometimes we need to investigate orders that do not automatically pass our payment providers fraud detection. This may mean your order will take additional time to complete as we will need to complete manual checks using the data you have provided for this and previous orders with us. For example, if your billing address is in the UK and your order is to be delivered to USA and our payment provider is not sure if you placed this order, we may need to get in contact with you or the payment provider may need more time to double check the legitimacy of the order.
Having an account with us enables you to purchase products from Settlers without having to fill in your personal information every time you shop online with us. If your account has been inactive for a long period of time, we reserve our right to deactivate your account.
We may contact you about the experience you have had whilst shopping with Settlers so that we can find out about what we are doing well and what we can do to improve.
We may respond to any experiences you have had when shopping with us. For instance, you may have asked us questions on our social networking sites or review websites and we may reply to you.
To improve the Settlers and to ensure that the content is secure, presented in the best manner for you and your computer, tablet or mobile device.
We will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party, it will only be used for the purposes described in this policy.
To prevent fraud or other criminal activity and to make sure your information is correct and accurate, we may pass on the information we have about you to other companies specialising in the prevention of fraud and crime. We are sometimes obligated to disclose the information we have about customers to law enforcement agencies where an allegation has been made of suspected criminal activity.
We will make sure that your personal information is protected when it is sent outside of Settlers. We make sure our trusted service partners keep your personal information safe.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to and from third party websites. These websites have their own privacy policies. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please make sure that you read their privacy policies before you submit any information to these websites. We do not accept any responsibility for their policies.
Need to update your data?
If you find that the personal information we have about you is inaccurate or needs updating (for instance, you may have changed your name, address etc.) then please contact us so that we can correct it. Settlers is under a legal obligation to ensure that all the information we have about our customers is factually correct and kept up to date. To do this, please email, telephone or write to us. If you have a customer account on the Settlers website, you can change the details stored about you by logging into your account.
Access to your information
If you want to know what information Settlers holds about you, we will provide you with that information which may be subject to an admin fee. To obtain this information please email, telephone or write to us.
What are cookies?
What type of cookies do we use?
Cookies can be in the form of session cookies or persistent cookies. Session cookies are deleted from your computer or device when you close your web-browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer or device until deleted or until they reach their expiry date.
We use the following cookies:
Analytical/performance cookies – These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our website and to see how visitors move around when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users find what they are looking for easily.
Customer preference cookies – when you are browsing or shopping on Settlers, these cookies will remember your preferences, improving your shopping experience with us.
Functionality cookies – These cookies are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, such as greeting you by name and remembering your preferences.
How do you block cookies?
We may update this policy from time to time. Changes in technology, legislation and authorities’ guidance may require us to inform you of the activities we undertake where it affects your privacy rights. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are familiar with any changes.
How to contact us
Address: Settlers, 40 Castle Street, Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, ML3 6BU, Scotland, UK
Telephone: 01698 768978